Monday, 13 May 2013

One day at a time


Monday morning feels good and the weather’s pleasant. After a tepid cup of coffee, I’m not sure I can take on anything that comes my way today. Then this God that I serve said to me, “One day at a time. Take it one day at a time.”
Yesterday I got news that I did not quite like. I’m not going to go into details out of respect for the other party but I was deeply hurt and I was sure at 7:01pm yesterday that I could not take in my next breath but I did. My chest was tight but I did. And I took in the next and the next and my mantra was “One breath at a time.” So when it’s difficult to do it, I’ll inhale as much oxygen as a tight chest will allow.
One breath at a time
Once Ann Voskamp said, “Life is not an emergency. Life is a gift.” And that’s what it really is.
You may, like me, be finding it difficult to breathe at this point. That one thing that used to be so elementary now becomes difficult and you’re not sure you can manage another breath. If I can, then you can. And you can believe that everything works together for your good because you love God and you can believe that the plans that He has for you are good. And even when you can’t make sense out of any of it you can hold on to His Word and trust His plan.
So next time, you feel overwhelmed and you’re drowning and you’re not sure you can take in the next breath, try to inhale His promises. And know that when you cannot find the words, He understands your groans and your tears and your sighs and your scarred heart. Take it one day at a time.
One breath at a time
One promise at a time


No comments:

Post a Comment