Friday, 16 August 2013

Finding balance between influencing people and being influenced by them


So, David tweeted the other day that he did not see the point in following someone if their tweets rubbed him wrong. And I remember he said he’d just rather unfollow than mute if they consistently tweeted stuff that didn't sit well with him.

I also remember awhile back when another friend of mine tweeted, “How are you supposed to reach unbelievers if you won’t follow them or interact with them on Twitter?” (para-phrased) and I agreed with him too. I was thinking about it this morning and it occurred to me that I cannot belong to both schools of thought so I tried to find middle ground.

Jesus did not stay in some bubble made of cant-touch-this fibre while he was in a human body. As a matter of fact, Jesus moved with people who were anything but “the right crowd” by religious standards. We hear preachers say stuff like, “Love the sinner and not the sin.” Or “Hate the sin and not the sinner.” Same as you read scripture that says, “Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers.” (Psalm1:1)

How do you find balance between “Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life” (Proverbs 4:23) and “…healthy people don’t need a doctor- sick people do.”(Mark 2:17)?
God has clearly called Christians to reach out to unbelievers, to love them, to “show mercy to still others with fear, hating the sin that contaminate their lives.” (Jude 23) but how do we do that without letting our heart-guards down?

Back to Twitter, I have an inner circle on my Ubersocial where I get to see tweets from people I choose. To be real honest, only about 20% of the people I follow are in the circle but I cannot bring myself to unfollow the others because I either know them in real life or they’re friends I've made on the internet. Ever tried to direct message someone then found out that they’d unfollowed you? I’d hate that so I'm not going to do it unless I absolutely have to. At the moment, I have no worries because I don’t get to see rub-me-wrong tweets on my timeline but they can still reach me if they need to talk in the dms. Plus they get to see my tweets and retweets and I hope to God that they are influenced by them and it touches them somewhere deep in their hearts.

I was talking to Sammy once and he unconsciously and indirectly complained that half the people that preach to him are mindless drones that don’t understand him. That broke my heart. I believe that you cannot really preach the gospel to people if you don’t understand them or even love them. If we preach without love, without really caring about the details of our listeners’ lives, we are clanging cymbals (1 Corinthians 13:1)
In real life, I also have a couple of friends I love dearly but don’t see the sense in what I believe or just couldn't be bothered to “fall for the whole Christian thing”. Most days, I'm constantly drifting between: 1) wanting to tell them about Jesus a lot more than we talk about other things and 2) wanting to just be with them and listen to them.
How you find balance between reaching out to people who don’t speak Christianese and not being influenced by them? Share your thoughts and insights with me, yes?

sig

5 comments:

  1. I won't advice for a growing christian to worry about finding a balance, Just guard your heart and grow in Christ. You get to a point in your walk with God that people will automatically get attracted to you because of the insights and wisdom you say or do. That way you don't need to worry about what people are saying they are coming to you to hear what you have to say not lecture you.


    Jesus always hung out the the sinners, sick, down cast, also notice that he always did the talking too.


    For me its important that you focus on renewing your mind and getting to a point before you give a part of you. you can't give what you don't have right?


    you can't preach when you are not living it right? who will listen to you?


    Thats my take :) Hope it makes sense

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have said God knows.. because really there is no answer I can give that someone wont find a hole in...
    Jesus was a teacher, a friend and a master. He spoke in the synagogue as was his custom... one day the people suddenly realized that "omo mehn this guy speaks with authority"...
    Jesus had a personal relationship with God that even his disciples marveled at. He was a breaking dawn kind of person. -__- waking up before 3/4 to commune with the Father.
    I wrote a piece that ended with this question
    "IS IT TRUTH IF IT IS WITHOUT LOVE?"
    Jesus was in tune, one essence with the Father not because HE WAS GOD but because as MAN he learnt to fellowship with the Father. Most Christians, sorry, I am lacking in this area. To communicate TRUE TRUTH (as if there could be any other) we must learn the language of LOVE.
    NOW... When you have settled the LOVE issue at its fundamental level and you have enrolled in the class of the spirit where you learn daily, then you will find that even those you call sinners will be drawn to you automatically.
    Someone once pointed out to me that I had spoken out of turn, without love and I was at once bothered. I am now learning to be tenderkind (permit my english).
    the moment I accepted the correction, someone else who was struggling with his walk dm-ed me and asked a couple of questions.
    I know I am ranting but pardon me. I believe we should shine our light on twitter but that doesnt mean you should go'an carry your tinfoil head (lol-heard this this morning) and follow postbadbabes or smfg.
    summary
    1. personal relationship or walk with God
    2. genuine love for the unlearned
    3. kindness to their faults
    let me shut up...if i dont make sense, abeg let me know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and whenever Christ hung out with sinners, they always got changed... [forgiveness, restoration, mind-change, sanity, sight, ability to walk etc]

    ReplyDelete
  4. IbukunAkinnawo15 May 2014 at 12:44

    Well, I'm sure Jesus gave people a chance to talk too. I mean He couldn't have dominated all conversations. That doesn't sound like the love-nature to me. But I do understand your point about being more focused on renewing my mind than worrying if i'll be "infected". Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. IbukunAkinnawo15 May 2014 at 12:44

    Hmmn the one thing I think you're trying to tell me is to filter the people I follow even while I try to love them genuinely. Thank you for this

    ReplyDelete