Monday, 19 August 2013

Grace for the good girl-- and the bad girl too (A book review)*


I started reading Emily Freeman’s book on Friday straight after work. 10pm Sunday night met me at the last page. Undone
When I read the introduction and the first few chapters, I thought to myself, “This isn’t me.”
Unlike Emily, I wasn’t a good girl before I met Jesus and I dared think there was nothing for me in the book. Thankfully, I kept reading. Newsflash: I wasn’t a good girl before I found Jesus so somehow I figured that if Jesus had saved me from so much and forgiven me of so much, then I ought to work out the rest of my own salvation. Like Emily, I felt that the saving power of Jesus stopped right there on the day I gave my life to Him and I pictured Him standing at the altar, arms folded, urging me to go into the world on my own. I made a to-do list for myself to follow. I felt I had to DO to BE. If I did not wake up 5am to have my quiet time with God I would feel shame for not being a good Christian.
“That is not what the Bible says yet that is what we believe.”
“You are not accepted because you are good. You are free to be good because you are accepted.”
As if being a good Christian was determined by my day-planner.
And to be real honest, there’ve been times when I wanted to do anything but read my Bible or pray. All the while looking down my nose at people who did the exact same thing
“Occasionally I would live up to the rules I thought God expected me to follow, then I would look down my nose at those who didn’t or couldn’t…”

Recently, I told Sammy about a horrible dream I had that involved him spitting “Hypocrite” in my face. He did mention that I could’ve had the dream because of something I had been thinking and he was right. My biggest fear is not measuring up to the religious standard that I impose on myself. I think, “Jesus’ blood has bought my salvation from hell. I have to buy Christ-likeness with my blood and sweat.”
“I could pray for five minutes or for two days and I would still be as righteous as I would be had I not prayed at all…there is new motivation to spend time in intimate communion. You and I can now go to him in freedom and in joy. Not to gain favour but because we already have it”
These words aren’t new to me. They are truth that I have read before but forgot and I am grateful for the reminder. I wish I could share all the portions of this book I highlighted and the parts I made notes at but that would mean I’d have to write down 60% of the book down so I’m not going to do that. What I will do is give the book 4 stars of out 5 for Emily’s brazen honesty, for the questions at the end of each chapter that helped me do some soul-searching of my own, for the small group study guide at the end that I will need soon, for the personal examples, for the verses I needed to be reminded of. So yes, this book is for the recovering bad girl just as much as it is for the good one. We need to receive, respond to and remain in God’s love just as much as the good girl.
If you’ve read the book, I’d love to hear about the truths that really hit home for you. We can have a small group discussion right here, right now! And if you haven’t, DON’T wait another minute to do it.


*I was not paid to do a positive review of this book by Emily Freeman or by Revell books. All thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine. All words in quotes are Emily Freeman’s unless otherwise stated.
Image Map

2 comments:

  1. I really love this post. It's so honest and raw and just beautifully written. It's as if I can see you coming to terms with what you're thinking as you write. I've never heard of that book, but I will have to look into it. Anything that helps better my life and my spirit, I'm all for. (:

    Zauni | thekindside.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. IbukunAkinnawo15 May 2014 at 12:44

    Hello Zauni!
    Thank you for dropping by my blog! You can get one asap off Amazon if you want. It's an easy and delightful read. One you'll definitely want to read over and over again!
    I'm off to creep all over your blog *chuckle* and follow you on Twitter

    ReplyDelete