Monday, 26 August 2013

Pursued by God

I'm excited to have Brooke Smith of Magnolia Grace on my blog this lovely Monday morning! I have been blessed by her singleness series and I was beyond grateful when she accepted my request to share a little bit of her heart on here. Pull up a chair, get comfortable and be encouraged.

At 34 years old, I never would have dreamt that I would still be single, childless and living alone in a house that I bought by myself. As someone who has long desired to be a wife and a mom, this certainly isn't the life I would have written for myself, but it’s where God has me right now. I spend far too much time wondering what is it exactly God does want me to do if it’s not to be a wife and a mom. I ask God that question over and over and all I hear Him speak is … “Keep waiting, keep waiting; I will redeem your pain, but you have to trust Me.”
Truth be told when I hear “Keep waiting,” a part of me (a big part of me) is thinking “Are you serious?!?! I'm 34 years old. I think I've done my share of waiting! I've watched woman after woman get married and have children younger than me and You’re telling me I have to keep waiting?!?”
Then I remember He’s God and I'm not.
I remember that His ways and His thoughts are higher than mine. I remember that He’s working all things out for my good. I remember that He sees the entire picture and I only see a tiny glimpse.
Oh, I know He’s up to something … I just have no clue what. And I'm not supposed to. All He asks of me is to trust Him—trust that He’s got in all in control and will always meet my needs.
So, I'm learning to be still. I'm learning to ask Him to speak into my life in such a way that I know the next step is His will and not mine. I'm learning to ask Him to open my ears to hear Him in a way I never have before. I'm learning to give up total control and surrender it all to Him.
Speak, Lord, for Your servant is listening.
The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.” -1 Samuel 3:10 (NIV)


Brooke is a 30-something single woman who loves Jesus and is just trying to follow Him every day. She works full-time in the publishing industry as a managing editor and spends her free time making pretty things, writing and attending as many Vince Gill concerts as she can. You can follow her on Twitter (@magnolia615) and visit her blog



4 comments:

  1. I'm learning to ask Him to open my ears to hear Him in a way I never have before. I'm learning to give up total control and surrender it all to Him. This is beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you every happiness! I really need to be still, listen, and (here is the key!) TRUST also!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you-I appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete