Monday, 9 September 2013

No Other gods (some sort of review)*


“When we try to house both God and gods we are left with half-hearted living. It is painfully ungratifying.” – Kelly Minter (‘No Other Gods’)

I'm writing this Sunday evening (but it probably won’t go up till Monday morning) I had a full full weekend doing DIY decoration of my room, Wholyfit stretches with my six year old brother, Timi,  and then worship in Church on Sunday.  I'm writing this just after finishing Kelly Minter’s ‘No Other gods’ and as impossible as it sounds for me to be wrecked any more than I already was after reading ‘Grace for the good girl’, I'm wrecked by this book. God has been speaking to me on the issue of false gods these past few months. It’s like He’s been repeating the phrase to me a lot more this past few weeks or I have finally decided to take my hands away from my ears so I can hear Him speak.
My favourite women and I are studying the Book of Daniel on SRT. God met me in Chapter 3 where Nebuchadnezzar had built up an image of himself and asked that everyone bow down to it. In the previous chapter, Daniel had interpreted (as inspired by God) a fearful dream that Nebuchadnezzar had had. And I couldn't help but notice how Nebuchadnezzar only held on to the part of the dream interpretation that said he was the head of pure gold with established dominion as a Babylonian king. I found out that I am similar to old boy Nebud in a way that I never would have imagined. Nebuchadnezzar was validated by God already (as a powerful King) and also validated by the thousands of Babylonians that bowed down to his graven image but it wasn't enough for him because 3 Hebrew boys refused to bow. Three Hebrew (not even Babylonian) men refused to bow and it angered the King enough to order the furnace be heated seven times over.
How many times do I seek to be accepted by people so bad that I forget that I am already accepted by the One whose acceptance matters most?
And how many times do I occupy myself with trying to please people hat it becomes my sole ambition to get them to like me/agree with me?
How many times, like the Israelites do I confess that I worship God with everything and anything when, in reality, I worship and serve my “any” and “every” things?
Just as plain as day, God pointed out the idols I had erected in my heart: acceptance and materialism. He reminded me of the times I had said to myself, “If this good Christian guy asks me out, then I’d be a better Christian.” or “If I get this new phone/this new pair of jeans/these wedges/this new friend then I’d be content and be able to serve God better.”
Against my idol of wanting to be accepted, God said to me “I have identified you as my own.” (2 Corinthians 1:22)
Against my idol of materialism, He said, “I have given you everything you need to live a godly life.” (2 Peter 1:3)
No doubt, there are still some idols lurking in my heart waiting to be exposed by the light of God’s word but I'm thankful God’s gotten started with these two. By His strength, I'm choosing not to believe the lies that these gods promise.
So, yes, I strongly recommend you read this book if you haven’t already and I pray that God leads you into a deeper relationship with Him as you choose to worship no other gods. If you have read it or have had God deal with you concerning other gods, will you vulnerable with me for a few seconds by sharing your experience with me in the comment box?


Just a brief side note, I'm on Instagram now and would totally love to connect with you there! If this is your first time on ‘She is out of control’, don’t forget to subscribe to receive weekly thoughts about life, love, faith and books from me. If this isn't your first time, it’s not too late to subscribe.  
Breathe deep, linger for longer, give thanks and have an amazing week!

* All thoughts expressed about the book mentioned in this post are mine and I was not in any way paid to do a positive review by Miss Minter or David C Cook.


No comments:

Post a Comment