Friday, 27 September 2013

The hard honest truth about Christianity

Source: www.turnbacktogod.com

When I was younger; any passage that was read at family devotion or in church was highlighted in my Bible. Not because any of them really meant anything to me but because I wanted to be able to gloat someday that my entire Bible was highlighted and I had read every single word.

For me the most important things were timidly handing out gospel tracts, highlighting the Bible, praying the Rosary every day. I desperately tried to obey the ten commandments murmuring them to myself everyday so I wouldn't forget them and then break them but I did break them many many times and felt condemned. I would sit in my condemnation, crying and punishing myself for days. When I felt I’d been punished enough, I would get up and try to obey again.

I was carrying a cross God had not called me to bear. My relationship with God did not bring me joy; I felt hollow, unfulfilled and unhappy. I lived those days with the crippling fear that if I died in that state I would burn. I didn't have a real relationship with God and I knew it.

The gospel I proclaimed and preached was that Mr A was a drunk hopeless sinner who would burn in hell if he did not surrender to Jesus and Miss B would burn right beside Mr A for her whoring if she did not repent too. Those may be facts but they aren't the gospel of Christ; it never was and it never will be. The gospel that Christ enjoins us to preach is that Man became spiritually dead and separated from God when he fell for Lucifer’s deception, that God couldn't leave us in our eternally damned/dead/fallen state so He sent His sinless Son Jesus to be the sacrifice that would take away the sin of mankind, that because of Jesus’ sacrifice we have been made right with God and all that is left for us to do is accept God’s outstretched hand with the promise of a deep, intimate relationship with Him. That is the gospel in a few sentences.

Friends, the gospel is not to point at people’s sin and because we have ALL sinned (Romans 3:23) not one man’s righteousness is enough to save him from hell. The gospel is not a new religion; it’s The Way of Life. In this life, you will fall but you don’t have to stay down in condemnation. Get up and keep walking with Jesus.

Are you living like this thinking you’re experiencing the real thing when all you have is religion and dissatisfaction? Jesus did not come to live and die and resurrect for us so we can have religion; He lived, died, resurrected so we can have life and have it abundantly. Stop trying to atone for sin. Stop keeping that long list of religious chores. Just stop and rest in the knowledge that Christ’s sacrifice was, is and always will be enough.

                                                             ----------------------------

I'd love for you to take a minute to nominate 'She is out of control' for the Best Faith-Based Blog at Nigerian Blog Awards. It would mean the world to me if you'd do that. 
Don’t forget to subscribe to receive relevant thoughts about life, love, faith and books. Breathe deep, linger for longer, give thanks and have an amazing weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for exposing the real essence of christ and his sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than glad to share! Thank you for dropping by

      Delete
  2. I love this! Shared it to a whole lotta people today, thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were blessed by it and shared! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. I think you and I were alike in some way. I wasn't ready to pray with the rosary but I grew up with this mind that once you don't do some certain things, you were going to hell. I was ready to start condemning ppl to hell. I would see a certain sect of people and frown upon them wondering how God can love such whereas the problem was with me. I didn't understand the whole to live is Christ and to die is Gain. Because I have been crucified with Christ, I have put my flesh to death and so the life I live, I live by faith in Christ Jesus. I felt God just set some certain rules for me and I got scared when I didn't obey them knowing If I kept going that way, I would burn in hell myself. And so when ppl talked of trumpet-rapture, second coming,I would grow scared.

    And then God was merciful enough to show me what he is all about. As in, sometimes his love fills me so much I shed tears when I sing or hear a certain song. I've learned to let his word dwell in my heart. I've learned to preach Jesus and not religion because religion is like a perfume being sprayed on a corpse while it rots inside. But Jesus, Oh Jesus gives us life in abundance. He gives us hope. When Christ our living hope shall come.

    Day by Day I learn, and I'm happy. it's just so different.
    When ppl call Christianity a religion, I shake my head and say, Religion and Christ are 2 different things. Religion tries to show God that I can do it by myself while Christ preaches that we can do nothing without him.

    Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I'll give you rest. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
    Abide in me and I in you. I am the true vine and my father is the vinedresser while we are the branches. When we let Jesus be the focus, the centre of it all, his water flows into us from the vine to us the branches.

    Thank you for sharing. Your blog is lovely by the way.

    I also blog at glowingscenes.com

    Would love to read more posts of yours. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Itunu!

      So blessed by your comment today. Will definitely check your blog out. (Glad to have a new bloggy friend) :D

      Delete