Monday, 7 October 2013

This one is for the bad girls

I couldn't help my guffaw when Ore said to me, "You don't look like someone who has had a bad past."
He didn't have the slightest idea that in my 20 years I have made some pretty bad decisions and choices (of which the most infamous was me trying to run away to another continent with a man when I was 13) I'm pretty precocious so I get to hang around a lot of people way older than me. It wasn't such a good thing in the past, because I was hanging with the wrong older crowd but now it’s a blessing that I'm more than thankful for. That's what makes me especially thankful for God salvation. He saved me from sin and from myself. Though I'm not proud of some of the things that I've done, I'm glad that I can  
  • empathize with people who have made similarly foolish decisions
  • I can show people who think “doing God” is hard because they’re “bad” that living for God is richly satisfying in itself!

I could write an entire post about sordid pasts but that’s not what today’s post is about. It’s not about that any longer. I'm okay and on my way to perfection in Christ.

 So maybe you didn't try to run away with some guy you thought was "the one", maybe you got a ton of hearts broken, maybe you went farther than you planned-- and maybe you went farther more than once. It's okay. I've been there too. I'm not just talking from a high and sanctified platform. I KNOW what the pit looks like. And as much as I'd like us to exchange stories, it'd be wiser for us to save that for real life convos.


My point is, Jesus doesn't care if you think you should get the award for 'World's worst decision maker'. Jesus wants for you to turn away from your past and begin to seek Him. It's not about where you've been, it's where you are right now that matters. Let me run a little history by you: Jesus had plenty bad-girl friends and he wasn't afraid to be seen in public with them. He loved them genuinely. As a matter of fact, one woman who had been caught in adultery was dragged to Jesus by the religious leaders at the time. They were expecting Him to stone her. She did a bad thing, no doubt but Jesus said, "Let he who is without sin be the first to cast a stone." When bad-girl looked up at Jesus' forgiving face and told Him that her accusers had left. He said, "Neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more." (John 8:11)

In case you still don't understand what I'm saying, Jesus loves us "bad" girls just as much as He loves the "good" girls. 
Jesus doesn't do labels like us humans, He doesn't see "good" or "bad", He only see people in need of grace and all of His love. 
So if you've been bad before, it's great! Don't beat yourself up about things you cannot change. You can testify about all that God saved you from! And if you haven't had any bad-girl experiences, that's great too! You can show people with your life that it is possible to flee from sin when you have Jesus.

Ready to dump the bad-girl label and put on Jesus? Come join me!


I'd love for you to take a minute to nominate sheknowswhoisnt.blogspot.com for the Best Faith-Based Blog at Nigerian Blog Awards. It would mean the world to me if you'd do that.  I will be sharing a 5 minute vlog this Friday about how I respond when people ask: “And why are you still single?” so you really want to subscribe so you won't miss that! Have a great week!  

16 comments:

  1. Aww. I really loved reading this. Thank youu

    www.cassiedaves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Cassandra!

      Delete
  2. I so love this!!!! More grace Ibukun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stoppping by, Dika! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yeah I have a channel but I haven't done much with it yet. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCviRiUeltWNl4AbixqNZbBw

      Delete
  4. These words are like a warm embrace. God bless you. P.S. It's for the bad boys too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad bad boys can relate too! :)

      Delete
  5. I was just reading in Ephesians to speak humbly and gently with others as you direct them to God and this post did just that!! Well said.

    P.S. I've completed the nomination form! Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for nominating me, Rachel! Blessings :*

      Delete
  6. really lovely post. In the words of a Don Moen song, " there is nothing u can do to make Him love u more, there is nothing u can do to make Him love u less". He loves us just the way we are. Its what we do with the love that counts.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you loved it. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Just came across your blog and I love it, thanks for being so open and honest. New subscriber on bloglovin! Can't wait to keep reading more and more x

    Reni| Lilac Tinted Views

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I loved the honesty in this blog. Not only have you made my day with the words "Jesus loves us "bad" girls just as much as He loves the "good" girls," I have learned one or two things from your writing style.

    Quick question: what photo editing software do you use? I've seen some of your posts and the pictures look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, worship and swag!

      Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm glad you learned something from reading some of my words. I'm grateful for the opportunity to share them. I use Picmonkey. It's a free photo editing software and it's easy to use. Just go to picmonkey.com.
      Enjoy your day!

      Delete