Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Twitterature October 2013

Welcome to She is out of control! If you like what you see, don't forget to subscribe to receive weekly updates from me about life, love, faith and books. I'd love to connect with you and get to know you. Pull up a chair and follow along!
I'm linking up with Modern Mrs Darcy for Twitterature again this month. If you're a book lover, you should totally join in on the fun! Here's what I've been reading these past few weeks
Mansfield park by Jane Austen

Lovely read! Only other book I've read by Jane Austen is Pride and Prejudice so I'm not sure I can say 'typically brilliant Jane Austen!' just yet.








13 reasons why by Jay Asher

I didn't like this book. It really really looked like it would be worth it the first few pages but half way in, I got bored and just wanted to get it over with. Full of melodramatic nonsense. Hoping the movie adaptation will be better and worth the time.






World War Z by Max Brooks

This was my favorite read this month. I liked it so much that I stopped halfway to watch the movie adaptation so I'd know how the war ended! The movie was almost nothing like the book.  Like I couldn't get over how fast the zombies were in the movie (ugh) plus the endings are different too.






Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

I'm still on this. 22nd letter in and all I can think is, "Either Lewis got this from an actual demon or he was a demon at some point himself."









What good reads have you found lately? Please share them with me!

16 comments:

  1. Hurray for Jane Austen! So glad you liked it. :) And your Screwtape summary cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just so real! I couldn't help myself lol. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Screwtape Letters really made you think! I've heard good things about World War Z but I'm not a big fan of zombies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you'll love the Zombies in the book, Amy! But I can't promise the ones in the movie won't keep you up at night *shudder*

      Delete
  3. HA! I'm with you on the Screwtape Letters. I watched World War Z but I haven't read it yet. I really should, shouldn't I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You TOTALLY should! It's wayy better than the movie

      Delete
  4. I read World War Z a few months ago. Those zombies sure didn't move fast, did they?

    Mansfield Park is on my list. It and Northanger Abbey are the only Austen books I've not read yet. Glad to hear you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good stuff! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read World War Z (yet), but when I saw the movie, I kept thinking, "If they're undead where on earth do they get all that energy?" Although my rather young sister-in-law got me to watch a zombie rom-com where a zombie teenager finds love and comes back to life, so I guess with zombies anything can happen?

    Also, Screwtape Letters. Whew, heavy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very heavyyy. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  6. I read Screwtape Letters when I was in high school, but it probably warrants a re-read. I remember liking it, but I'm guessing it might strike me a bit differently now that I am older and more mature in my faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Screwtape Letters is the kind of book you read more than once. Love it. You should totally re-read. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  7. About Screwtape letters: ha, ha, Lewis does know a LITTLE too much about how devils think, doesn't he....

    I liked Mansfield Park a lot too. Some people think Fanny is too perfect, but I love her for her patience, trust, and loyalty.

    By the way ... you commented on my post about Adichie's work and I just wanted to ask if you ever read Little Bee by Chris Cleave? Not that you have to have read every book that has to do with Nigeria! But it's an awfully good book too and the title character, Little Bee, is beautiful. Anyway, just thought I'd ask!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeannie!

      No I haven't read Little Bee (yet). I'll look for it on Kindle!
      I have to admit, I have been slacking on reading books by local authors. That has to be fixed asap. Adichie is about the only one I've read recently
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  8. Ooh, Screwtape Letters is sooo good. I'd like to reread it. It's been a while. And Mansfield Park . . . I want to read that too. I think it's the only one of Austen's I haven't read all the way through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warning: you will love Fanny a lot more than you plan

      Delete