Thursday, 12 December 2013

The bad girl's guide: a final word

This is the concluding part of the "Bad girl's guide to being Christian" series. You can read part 1part 2 and part 3.  If you like what you see, don't forget to subscribe (or follow on Bloglovin'to receive weekly updates from me about life, love, faith and books. I'd love to connect with you and get to know you. Pull up a chair and follow along!

It's been a ball writing this series because I've been encouraged by it just as much as you reading it! We've gone through dating, developing a relationship with God through Bible study and sharing faith with others which I believe are the most important things. When we understand these three vital aspects of a new life in Christ, other stuff like clothing and finding a local church are a lot easier to do.

Up until very recently, I allowed people's comments get to me especially comments about who I was. My biggest fear was that someone would "see through me" and "blow my cover" (as if the blood-bought righteousness of Christ could be taken away by anything or anyone). I was afraid that I wouldn't measure up and this Christian thing wouldn't work out for me.
Listen, friend, don't buy the lie that anything you have done or will ever do can disqualify you from receiving God's free and abundant grace. 
And perhaps more importantly, don't let anyone's opinion of you become your reality. Because whether you like it or not, people will bring up a list of sins you've committed  (as if God needs an assistant) every time you choose to honour God in your decisions. Expect that, but don't take it to heart. As long as you are in right standing with your Jesus, nothing else matters.

If the 5 friends you spend the most time with do not edify you or encourage you to be a better Christian, you need new friends. If your Twitter, Facebook and/or Instagram feed does not build you up or encourage you to be a better Christian, girlfriend, change your timeline. Join uplifting online communities like She Reads Truth and The Influence Network. It's not called being liberal if they're having a bigger effect on you than you're having on them. That's conforming. It's letting people's opinion matter to you more than God's. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should pick up and disappear to a monastery or convent in the middle of nowhere (please don't do that). I'm saying set yourself apart and live like you know there is a higher standard.

You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. 15 No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house.            - Matthew 5:14-16

 He also brought me up out of a horrible pit,
Out of the miry clay,And set my feet upon a rock,And established my steps.       - Psalm 40:2



As believers we have become a city on a hilltop, lamps on a stand not under basket or under a table, our feet are set upon a rock. All this speaks of some sort of elevation and set-apartness (I hope this is a word). Let's live different.
I cannot overemphasise the importance of finding a home church. It's like relocating to a new neighbourhood and deciding to stay indoors and not eat. You won't last long. The same applies for spiritual lives, prayerfully consider your options and be sure to settle for a church that helps you grow in the faith.


Any questions you'd like answers to? Leave me a comment or send me mail at ibukunakinnawo[at]gmail[dot]com and I'll answer to the best of my ability.
 

4 comments:

  1. Quite true. Christ didn't come for the righteous he came to make us righteous. And we are never below standard for God's use. One man define GRACE as God's Reward At Christs Expence. God bless you real good Dear..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW... When I read this "If the 5 friends you spend the most time with do not edify you or encourage you to be a better Christian, you need new friends. If your Twitter, Facebook and/or Instagram feed does not build you up or encourage you to be a better Christian, girlfriend, change your timeline" I almost shouted!!! Last year the Lord worked thru a Bible study - No Other Gods - and I realized that social media was something that effected me in ways I hadn't thought about. At first I thought I would disconnect from it all... but was reminded that all good things can be bad if moderation isn't used. And I needed to learn to limit my time and eliminate what didn't line up with His word (ex Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Phil 4:8) So I was convicted to remove things that caused negativity in my life, things that pointed me in a direction other that HIM or in some way tainted my testimony. I find that I still have to stay on guard with this thought, or I will allow the enemy to drag me down. So recently, I had to hide posts from a few Christian friends because of their lack of self-control from posting rants......I understand my convictions are not theirs, and I should not judge them for what they do.... but I must remove those friends that do not encourage me in the Lord!
    Thank you for sharing!! May God continue to do a mighty work in you and to those around you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "he same applies for spiritual lives, prayerfully consider your options and be sure to settle for a church that helps you grow in the faith."

    That is so important. There are SO MANY churches in the world. Finding a church home is a very big issue and from experience, I found out that fasting and praying to God for direction is the only way to know the next ground that He intends to plant you on. Nice post, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol@ "as if God needs an assistant". I totally get what you are talking about.
    Don't let anyone's opinion of you become your reality; very very true.
    Christ died for us to live free, don't let anyone make you a slave with their comments.
    Loved this post. Keep doing what you are doing. Your light will never grow dim in Jesus name

    thisfavoredwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete