Monday, 2 December 2013

The bad girl's guide to sharing her faith

This is Part 3 of the "Bad girl's guide to being Chrisitian" series. You can read part 1 and part 2.  If you like what you see, don't forget to subscribe (or follow on Bloglovin'to receive weekly updates from me about life, love, faith and books. I'd love to connect with you and get to know you. Pull up a chair and follow along!


There is absolutely no avoiding this, people. There’s no way round it. We have been commanded expressly as believers of Jesus to tell others about the wonderfully saving power of Jesus but this can be daunting for the bad girl (I wrote more on the good girl, bad girl divide here). You think: will anyone take me seriously?! I did this and hooked up with so-and-so. I've got history. This preaching thing is not for me. 

But it’s not about who you were. The minute you gave your life to Jesus you became a different person. Clearly, it felt and looked like you were the same and nothing remarkable happened but something did—the very best thing. So here are a few things I've learned about sharing my faith (bad girl status or not)

1.       It’s no longer about you
    
   "This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!" - 2 Corinthians 5:17

I'm writing this from a place of knowing. I've been stuck at this point before, thinking that because I had done so-and-so I had no business telling people to stop stealing/committing fornication/adultery till I came to understand that it’s not about me, it’s about Jesus. It’s not about what I've done, it’s about the sacrifice of Christ some two thousand years ago. We have countless second chances because of the cross so forget the past. Jesus has wiped the slate clean, stop carrying the burden of who you used to be around. The reason you’re saved is because you needed saving in the first place. Salvation qualifies the unqualified; Jesus qualifies the unqualified. He doesn't care about your past; He cares about the present and the glorious future you have in Him. Share your faith with others from that point of grace
2.      

            Be authentic

"Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me" - 2 Cor 12:9
It can be tempting for us to show others only the pretty then hide the ugly. Afraid of our imperfections and shortcomings, we put on our Sunday best and play our parts like the best actors out there. But people want backstage passes; they want to know how God meets you when you fall apart. Let them know that you were not born all “put together” show them that you've fallen too (countless times) but don’t stop there. Share how God saved you every single time so they know that He can save them too.
3.       
      Don’t overthink it

It doesn't have to be a neat little sermon. In fact, the times I have spoken about my faith were times I was most unprepared. My Matthew Henry Commentary and Greek Bible were nowhere to be found. I didn't have a microphone or my Evernote sermons. It was just me and this person with the “What’s so special about Christianity?” question between us. The most important thing is for you to speak honestly, sharing the gospel and answering questions about your faith as SIMPLY as possible. Tell it how you would like to hear it. Don’t befuddle people with grandiose words and fancy speech. The only thing that wins people to Christ is God not your eloquent speech
4.      
      Always be ready

Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it."       - 1 Pet 3:15
Don’t postpone it till later if you can do it now.

Finally, come to understand that not everyone you share your faith with will welcome it with open arms. Some may be openly critical of you (be prepared for that), some may argue you into the ground with high-sounding philosophies and historical discoveries (don’t indulge them. If it’s clear they just want to rile you up and aren't willing to see things from your point of view, walk away from the discussion. Don’t let it become an argument), some will welcome it with open arms.


In a few words, this is what I believe the gospel is: that God created us to fellowship with Him in perfect unity and in Paradise forever but because of Satan’s deception we fell and became separated from God spiritually. God didn't leave us in our fallen state, He sent His Son Jesus to bear the punishment and pay the price for our sins and because of Jesus’ sacrifice, we can become one with God again by accepting Jesus as Lord and Saviour.

For a longer explanation of the gospel, don’t hesitate to ask me directly (ibukunakinnawo[at]gmail[dot]com) I’d love to explain it to you.


What other helpful tips do you think bad girls and other “unqualified” people need to share their faith effectively?

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for these wonderful guiding principles. It's hard when we want to "share" the gospel and help edify someone but we remind ourselves of our ugly pasts--but our true blessing comes in showing the previous broken-ness that led to our beautiful todays. I hope that you are enjoying the holiday season. Keep on doing the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoying this season (though a little stressed from work) thankful for advent and glad you enjoyed the post. Thank you for your encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Sweet! I particularly like the "come unprepared" part. That's key because the need people have is one for a saviour and that's who we should be connecting them to...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really enjoying this series! I get nervous giving prepared speeches, so if there is an opening to talk to someone about my faith, I just really try to speak from the heart. If I stutter or don't know the right word, well, that just goes to show that Christ-followers aren't perfect! We just follow the one guy who was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love your last statement, Sarah! We follow the one guy who was-- and dare I say still IS! So glad you're enjoying the series.
      Love

      Delete
  4. This: "Be authentic"

    Soul winning is a very interesting topic. Souls have emotions and to effectively lead them to christ we need to retain some milk of humanity in us. The gospel is good news and when we share it, it MUST contain instructions on how to benefit from it, not just a tool to prove how bad someone is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You & I are the same! I'm definitely going to be referring to this list often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen. There's never a mention of the woman at the well getting her act together. It says she went and told everyone in the city what Jesus had said to her and they all believed. People today seem to think they need to wait until they've gone to seminary or taken some kind of Bible class to be able to share. Nonsense. By all means, educate yourself in God's word, but don't wait to tell the world what God has done for you and for them!

    ReplyDelete