Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Rekindling the flame {Guest Post}

When Wande hit me mail early last week I was excited. It's always been a dream of mine to have guests share their thoughts here at least once a month. It's refreshing to hear different voices and thoughts on faith, life and everything in the middle. Get cosy, enjoy Wande's post on faith and be sure to share a thought below, Join the conversation!

Love is indeed a beautiful thing and anyone that has being in love would attest to that. There comes a time though in relationships when the flame needs to be rekindled. That is not to say that one has falling out of love with an individual rather the pressures of life could lead to one’s relationship taking the back seat; resulting in a need to rekindle the flame. I would like to relate this to our relationship with Christ. When one newly gives their life to Christ, it feels amazing; there is this zeal to serve Him and to dwell continually in His presence. Life though has a way of bringing challenging situations our way that question our faith. In addition, it’s easy to get distracted with other things- work, family, TV, internet. This tends to have a negative effect on our relationship with God.
Trust me, I am talking from experience. Lately, I have had to re-evaluate my walk with God and realised that I am not where I ought to be. In fact, I should be doing a lot more for the kingdom. The issue was my devotion to Him had reduced. I could spend hours on the internet social networking or you-tubing whereas I was barely spending 30 minutes with God. I definitely knew something had to be done. It wasn't like I loved God less, I just wasn't given Him first priority. So, I decided that I needed to rekindle my relationship. I needed to get back in tune with my maker. I thank God I am retracing my steps and getting back on track.
What I love the most about God is that He is faithful even when we are unfaithful. He is always there waiting to pick us up when we fall. All He desires from us is to draw near to Him and He will draw near to us. You might be wondering how to rekindle this love. Well, there are various ways to do this. One could sing praises to Him, spend quality time in His presence, Witness to others about Him, Write Love notes to Him, listen to up-lifting music, Fellowship with other brethren or just read a book that edifies one’s spirit. Essentially, rekindling a relationship is basically doing things to keep the heart beating for the one you love. It’s nurturing that relationship so that the love continues to grow and keeping that spark/connection alive.
You see our relationship with God can be likened to a garden. If a garden is not well tended to, it would not thrive; it would be full of weeds. We need to nurture our relationship so that our plants can grow and bear fruit. The result is that we receive a bountiful harvest. A man’s spiritual life is so crucial as it has the potential to affect every other facet of his life. Indeed, if one has a healthy spiritual life, it would cause other areas of a man’s life to thrive
Hope you enjoyed this post. Would love to hear from you!

Have you experienced dry spells in your relationship with God? How did you deal with it? How do you keep the flame burning for God?


Olawande Abisoye is an Engineer that has a passion to inspire people through writing. She is a lover of God, Family and chocolate. She is an optimistic person who believes that with God all things are possible.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree, It can be daunting to even pay attention to the maker: from phone calls to internet and all the little things we see each day. For me its a daily struggle, even when I have nothing doing I would rather spend time on the internet. But since I had to take a look at things critically and its been totally worth it.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world is out to take our eyes of of HIM. We must chose to spend time in His WORD and in communication with HIM. Praise Him for His faithfulness.....even when I am not. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you both. I think it's much easier to get distracted this days especially with social media. As christians though we have to make out time to fellowship with Him and use social media positively to inspire others about Christ. That's why I love forums like this that enables us to learn from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm wande on some blowing-up-going-nuclear-viral situation here...Kool kool

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete