Monday, 12 May 2014

When theology is not enough


I was on the phone with my friend and music partner, Bankole, on Friday (we did this song together). For most of the year, he's in Los Angeles (and I stinking miss him) so I wanted to check on him and see how life was with him. You guys, we ended up arguing theology for over an hour. Needless to say, we said our goodbyes more than a little riled up. No one was able to win the other over to their side.

Our conversation left me thinking long and hard.

God knew before he even created man that the Church would do a lot of horrible things in his name; that blood would be shed, that hearts would be broken instead of cleaned and dressed, that members of His body would be imperfect, sometimes inadequate ambassadors of Him. God knew that Christians will mess up, condemn, judge, gossip, hate and "justify" it with Scripture. Yet, He still took the risk. He put His bright light in fragile jars of clay. He let us bear His name and carry His Spirit knowing full well that we would, will and continue to grieve him and misrepresent Him in the earth.

It blows my mind that God would take such a risk, that He would take the foolish things of this world and call them His body. He gave us this message of the cross that seems like absolute foolishness to some-- yet is life to others.

I don't know about you but if God took that huge risk, I want to be a Christian who can explain her faith without being defensive, demeaning and downright abusive. So I open my eyes and choose to understand that depending on my Pastor's Sunday morning teachings alone is not and never will be enough. I'm choosing to understand that depending on what I read in my quiet time 3 months ago is not enough. I'm consciously choosing to behold God's face everyday in Scripture and prayer so that I can walk, talk, look like Him/love.

Look, the world is not going to be changed by Christians who warm benches on Sundays and have quaint little tea parties with their Christian club friends. The sceptics won't believe if members of the body of Christ don't understand what we believe enough to explain it. The sceptics won't believe our Bible is truth if we don't even open it to read it for ourselves.

The Bible is relevant. The Bible has answers. The church does not need modern day Pharisees. What the Church needs is people who are not afraid to get their hands 'dirty', people who do not hypocritically hide behind spirituality. Let's stop shoving our faith and start living it. Everyday. I say 'us' because I'm just as guilty as the people I've described. Let's choose to spend time with God by and for ourselves regularly, to not depend on Sunday services alone, to not depend on what we studied months ago but to 'find our theology' in Christ everyday. Constantly growing and evolving to look more and more like Christ.

Your Pastor's theology is not enough
Your Bible study group's theology is not enough
Your favourite singer/author's theology is not enough
Knowing and growing daily in Jesus is enough


"We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves." - 2 Cor 4:7

"Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it." - 1 Pet 3:15

"So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord--who is the Spirit--makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image." - 2 Cor 3:18



My dates with subscribers continues this week and we'll be talking five things I'm afraid to share. If you haven't already subscribed, do so here so we can connect and get talking. 

7 comments:

  1. Yes, you are right..God doesn't want our knowing Him to end in church, He wants to fellowship with us everywhere and everytime,everyday in our lives..God help us all

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...the world is not going to be changed by Christians who warm benches on Sundays and have quaint little tea parties with their Christian club friends." This statement tugged at my heartstrings, IB!

    Another thing is: sometimes we forget that street evangelism ain't all that. Don't get me wrong, it's good. But screaming into the microphone ain't winning Rose over to Jack.

    "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)

    It is grace, along with the steps you outlined in your post, that saves. Not just ringing bells incessantly in the mornings and condemning those who fail to stop to listen...

    Loved this! keep 'em coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. IbukunAkinnawo15 May 2014 at 12:46

    I can finally reply comments again! Installed Disqus and all the people said halleluyah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. IbukunAkinnawo15 May 2014 at 12:46

    Amen! Thank you for dropping by, Frances

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen. Was speaking to a friend of mine about meditating on scripture and she thinks I'm maybe the next best thing after the microscope. It shouldn't be this way. There shouldn't be a scarcity of those who know the Word. It's time for us to wake up from our deathly slumber as the church.

    ReplyDelete
  6. IbukunAkinnawo19 May 2014 at 23:43

    This is so important. I cannot tell you how much. I believe it's Christ's desire that all members of His body are armed with Scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so important. I really appreciate you writing this. It's so easy to get complacent and depend solely on what we hear at church and in Bible study, but this is dangerous. Setting aside time to truly get into the Word daily and memorize scripture and ask God for understanding is important. I'm trying to do this because for a long time I simply didn't. Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete