Monday, 16 June 2014

Latest read: The Phantom of the Opera



I found this classic at a book fair sometime in April and I don't regret instantly paying for it. I've seen Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of The Opera about two hundred times in my life already and every single time I'm upset with Christine Daae for choosing Raul over the Phantom because, I mean, he is cuter. Well, in the movie anyway. Don't judge me.

If you haven't seen the movie adaptation of this fantastic book, you probably should but read the book first. It's so much more richer than the movie and explains a lot of things the movie left out. The Phantom of the Opera was originally written in French by Gaston Leroux and is believed to be based on a true story based on Leroux's introduction, investigation and findings in the opening chapters of the book. It's essentially about an orphan, Christine Daae trained to sing by her Angel of Music (the Phantom/ The Opera Ghost) who she believes was sent by her deceased father. The Phantom is known to her as 'The Voice' till he chooses to reveal himself to her in person. She eventually finds out that her Angel of Music looks nothing like he sounds and though he is besotted by her, she is always either terrified by him, or sad for him. Her childhood sweetheart, Viscount de Chagny, comes on the scene and Christine finds herself in a tricky love web. 

Seriously, worth every page!

Have you read the book or seen the movie? Do you believe the Phantom really existed? I'd love to read your thoughts

 If you like what you see, don't forget to subscribe (or follow on Bloglovin'to receive weekly updates from me about life, love, faith and books. I'd love to connect with you and get to know you. Pull up a chair and follow along

3 comments:

  1. I watched the stage version at Her Majesty's theater. It is definitely in the top five experiences of my life!
    The music! (It was some sort of Gothic rock.) The stage engineering! The hushed crowd! You can tell the memory's getting me excited. That's what you should go watch: the stage play. Gripping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books are ALWAYS better than the movies! Lol! I wasn't a big fan of the movie, but the book was pretty cool! Great post :)


    XoXo Shea L. ☞ ☞ ☞ kissmychocolate.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. IbukunAkinnawo20 June 2014 at 11:19

    I've watched the movie too many times in this life it's ridiculous. Mostly because of the songs and the Phantoms gorgeous hair ;) thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete