Monday, 30 June 2014

What I'm Into (June 2014)


I've had a love-hate relationship with the month of June and I'm mostly glad for July to begin!

Read and reading:
I met Eghosa Imasuen at a book fair earlier this year and got him to sign my copy of his book: Fine Boys. Fine Boys is set in 1990s Nigeria smack in the middle of political unrest. The story is told from UNIBEN undergraduate Ewaen's perspective and is an easy read. I found it particularly interesting how 1990s Nigeria isn't really different from 2014 Nigeria. Fine Boys is funny for most of it and pretty melancholy at the end. A little predictable but worth it.

Four out of five stars to Gaston Leroux's Phantom of The Opera. I've always been fascinated by the movie so it was awesome to get to read the book the movie was based on.

Malcolm Gladwell's David and Goliath got boring fast after the first few chapters. I thought he was going to build the book on the story of David and Goliath (cue 'don't judge a book by its cover' comment) but I was fed stories of how underdogs won in difficult/impossible situations. The best way to read this book is to not expect anything.

I'm reading Veronica Roth's Divergent Series and loving it so far. I've finished Divergent and Insurgent and stuck on Allegiant. It's a tad distracting that the story is told from Tris and Tobias (the main characters) perspective in Allegiant unlike in Divergent and Insurgent where Tris solely tells the story. If you're not so much into romance and soppy stories you will catch yourself rolling your eyes more than once (guys, I'm jaded). In Roth's defense, she built a pretty interesting plot outside of starry-eyed teenage loving.


Music:

Remember Bankole and this sappy song we did together? He told me about Sir Sly  and I find myself head over heels in love with their 'Gold' song. If you're into indie or alternative music you have to listen to these guys sometime. Plus, I'm excited to make music when I'm done with exams

Things I love:


  • That my fro is getting bigger! 
  • Getting to hang out with my friend, Tokunbo, after a really long time
  • Warm, long hugs
  • Not using antidepressants any more
  • Really awesome intermediate level yoga poses 
  • Finding a blog photographer that's enthusiastic about She is out of control
  • This blogging e-course by Emma and Elsie at A Beautiful Mess 



Favorite Instagram

Flashback to happy times with my former roommate!

On the blog

I loved putting this personal style post together. It got me pretty excited about doing vlogs again.
Plus getting to know blog subscribers better with our Friday Dates (subscribe here to not miss out on that!)


What have you been into this month? What did you love or hate? Share with me in the comments!


*Linking up with Leigh Kramer 


12 comments:

  1. cassandra ikegbune30 June 2014 at 08:57

    I've read fine boys, I loved it too! I'm still on a photographer hunt :( . what's Friday date about? I should probably just click on the link to find out .lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. IbukunAkinnawo30 June 2014 at 10:54

    Kelvin is a great bet! You should send him mail and get talking. In Friday dates, I ask 5 questions as a conversation starter and wait for people to send in their reples. It's pretty neat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post! I loved learning about the blogging e-course - and $50 for that much content sounds like a great deal - thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is burifulll

    ReplyDelete
  5. IbukunAkinnawo2 July 2014 at 01:20

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. IbukunAkinnawo2 July 2014 at 01:20

    It does! Glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely brilliant! I love how you included links to all you loves at the moment, especially the blogging e-course. Pretty generous of you, I think ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phantom of the Opera is one of my favorite shows but I've never read the book. I should remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by from Leigh's. Love your photos! Also, I'm intrigued about the Fine Boys book. I will look that up. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. IbukunAkinnawo6 July 2014 at 09:12

    Glad you loved it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. IbukunAkinnawo6 July 2014 at 09:13

    Oh you should! Thank you for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  12. IbukunAkinnawo6 July 2014 at 09:14

    Thanks Sarah! I think you could get Fine Boys off Amazon. So worth it. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete