Monday, 11 August 2014

One valid reason to get over yourself

 If you like what you see, don't forget to subscribe (or follow on Bloglovin'to receive weekly updates from me about life, love, faith and books. I'd love to connect with you and get to know you. Pull up a chair and follow along

Throughout my first year at Uni, I went to church only three times and I was awful proud about it.

I felt like I was sticking out like a sore thumb in the midst of all the righteous and sanctified folk so I stopped going altogether. I didn't belong I wasn't about to force myself into a community I felt wasn't for my kind.

In my second year, I found The Highlife Church and I haven't stopped going ever since. I have been tempted to leave, because it hasn't exactly been sunshine and roses ever since. Our humanity gets in the way and someone is hurt one way or the other. But more importantly than getting my ego bruised, and being misunderstood, and hurt, I have grown spiritually. That is what church is about.




I go to church with a bunch of imperfect people, misfits, ragamuffins you could call them, but I fit right in because I am just like them. And because of the saving power of God, I grow with them.

Somehow today, we have come to believe that church is for the good, tongue-speaking, upstanding citizens but it's not. At least, not as much as it is for us who are in need of cleaning up, grace and salvation.

I led worship in church yesterday. A few minutes before I went up to sing I had this thought: "Who are you to go up there and lead this congregation?". But I didn't let that thought get in the way of me worshipping my King and leading others into His presence. In fact, while I sang, God had a word for me (three words actually):

Get over yourself.

Get over the fact that you are in rental skin and bones. Get over the fact that you are flawed.

And I've been chewing on the thought ever since yesterday.

What if we looked away from ourselves long enough to realise that other people are just as human as we are? What if we looked away from ourselves long enough to realise that God just wants us focus our attention on Him and the grace He has made available to us His children?
The liberation that comes from putting away our spiritual cosmetics and coming to God for soul surgery? It's greater than you can imagine. 

Stop using "I believe in God but I'm not very religious" to put the spotlight on yourself. It's not about you or your qualifications. It's not about me either.

It's about forgetting what is behind, fingers intertwined with fellow believers in the faith, as we press on to the goal for which Christ first called us.

"No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us."   - Philippians 3:13-14 NLT

 "So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees. Mark out a straight path for your feet so that those who are weak and lame will not fall but become strong."
                                                                                          -  Hebrews 12:12-13 NLT 


Do you have any thoughts or questions on this? Leave me a comment or send me mail ibukunakinnawo[at]gmail[dot]com. I'd love to chat with you!

5 comments:

  1. "I go to church with a bunch of imperfect people, misfits, ragamuffins
    you could call them, but I fit right in because I am just like them. And because of the saving power of God, I grow with them."


    Good Lord that is one line I'll have to chew on time and time again. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it the thought resonates with you. Did I mention I tried to leave a comment on your Yotuube video (the swag one) and was never able to? :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh really?! Haha it'd be awesome to know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everyone should pay attention to their body types/shapes instead of following every latest fashion trend. It doesn't look flattering on every one. What would look classy on a petite lady, for example, would look trashy on someone who is thicker or curvier. In three words: respect your body

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this.

    ReplyDelete