Tuesday, 23 September 2014

The things that keep us away from God


My redemption story is easily my life story. It’s a little hard to get over how God filled the broken, chipped parts of me with gold and I have to say I'm more beautiful mended than I was. Bad girl stories are always my favourite and I can relate with Gomer and the Samaritan woman more than any Biblical heroine.




I went over my story with a dear friend of mine this weekend. She needed to hear how God wooed this Samaritan so I showed her my ugliest parts, the things that held me back from God for a long time and I told her how I took all the ugliness and gave it over.
Imagine a potential employer came to us with a ridiculously wonderful job offer, I don’t think anyone would say “Oh I never finished Uni. Plus there was this time in secondary school I had to repeat a class.”
I don’t know about you but I would take the job without as much as a second thought.

Many people today are more sin-conscious today than they are grace-conscious. My Pastor confronted me with this truth sometime last week and I haven’t ever been more grateful for him than I was in that moment. The devil sees that he cannot keep us from hearing the gospel so he tells us “What makes you think God wants your type after everything you've done?” then he goes on to keep us occupied with inconsequential things like social media, celebrity gossip and the latest trends. (For the record, the truth is, God still wants us after everything we've done and still will do.)

Other times as I've observed, the problem is not even sin-consciousness, it’s just that we don’t want to be bothered to put in the effort. We’re too busy feeding our flesh we’re starving our spirits.

The truth is this:
No amount of trying to be a good person will be enough to earn salvation (Ephesians 2:8-9)

God doesn't want you to try to earn your salvation, He already paid for it in full

God wants to give you a full and abundant life here and in the afterlife (John 10:10)

You get so much more than anything you leave behind to follow God (Matthew 10:30)

Walking with God will be hard but it will be worth it (it doesn't cost to follow God, it pays)

It’s been three years since I took God’s grace offer and though some people say my faith in God is inspiring I'm quick to tell them that I haven’t ‘arrived’ yet. There’s still so much to be learned, there’s still so much God is dealing with me on and there’s still so much of God to discover.
And if this is all the faith I share on this blog, it is enough

What’s your story? What do you think keeps us away from God besides those mentioned above? I’d love for you to share with me in the comments below




4 comments:

  1. Fear..fear of what would happen if we let God take over our lives could keep us away from God. Fear of the "i" turning to "God's will"... but God's will is always better than ours, way better!
    Keep inspiring others with your story, let your light continually shine. God bless you bigly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, Frances. Your encouragement made my day a little brighter. Have an amazing day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oyinkansola Majekodunmi6 October 2014 at 16:17

    On nights such as these when insomnia becomes my bff I come on here. I've been quite naughty lately but like you said we're all work-in-progress or is it works-in-progress? lol....anyhow, great piece darling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to think simply that sin was all that drove me from God. To a point, that's true. However, I'm learning that worse than sin is my reaction to it. While the sin may separate my fellowship with God, it's SHAME that keeps me from simply turning to Him and asking forgiveness right away. He wants to restore our relationship immediately, but pride and shame keep me from doing the right thing as quickly as I should sometimes.

    ReplyDelete