Monday, 1 December 2014

Latest read: The ocean at the end of the lane

Happy new month people! December came by so quickly it's almost as if this year didn't happen, or it just me?

Source: www.youth.sg


Between reading for my finals and trying to catch some sleep, I read this book by Neil Gaiman that has been on my never-ending reading list since forever. The one thing that grabbed my attention was the front cover. I loved how eerie it looked and was expecting a little horror 'movie' BUT it surprised and turned out to be like nothing I expected. It's a relatively light read, not too bulky and keeps you somewhat fascinated till the end.

The book is about a little boy whose body was used as a gateway to bring an evil being into our world. His friend, Lettie Hempstock and her family, helped him get rid of the being that threatened to tear his family and our world apart. The story was seamless but had a nice little twist to the end.

There was one paragraph I particularly liked from the book and have half a good mind to print and frame.

Lettie shrugged, "Nobody actually looks like what they really are on the inside. You don't. People are much more complicated than that. It's true of everybody."

I would tell you what page it's on but I want you to read it and share your thoughts about it! I give this book 3 stars out of 5 for seamless storytelling. It misses two stars because I came away feeling nothing when I finished. I think a stellar book should make you feel something

If you have read the book, did you enjoy the story? Anybody else listening to Christmas songs yet? Let's talk in the comments below! 

3 comments:

  1. you're brave. as soon as you said the cover looks like a horror movie something, i was like "yeah..i kent" LOL great review though. really like how frank and short it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kin spirit hehe. Thanks Kola!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...This is some review...I should read this book...

    Tibs Tells Tales

    ReplyDelete