Sunday, 1 February 2015

Now there is no condemnation...

I met a guy yesterday.



We've been friends online for awhile and just started working together on a project so we met for the first time in real life yesterday. We had a great time, decent conversation and it was the perfect end to the weekend. I did have one major problem, though.





I was swearing a little too much for my own good. And that, in my opinion, is a not-so-great first impression.

So after gisting my sister, I tumbled into bed and fell asleep thinking about what a horrible person I am. I mean, how will anyone take me seriously as a Christian when there's always a "fuck" flying out of my mouth. I almost said it in church even. And it's not something I'm very proud of.
I woke up this morning and pretty much felt same. I felt super discouraged and didn't have my quiet time. But decided to continue reading Crash the Chatterbox by Steven Furtick. I haven't read anything more timely in recent times:

"I believe God is holy and blameless. But when He calls me holy and blameless, I figure He must have me confused with somebody else. Yet He means exactly what He says. And the more I rehearse what He says about me, the more my activity will align with my true identity, the more I will become what God has already said I am"

I mean it's easy to think of God and say, "Oh well, He is God. He can't commit sin. But do you even know me?! Definitely not holy or blameless. I'm a walking contradiction. Sorry"

Walking around with those kind of thoughts, there definitely is no way in this world my actions will align with what God says about me. If I don't think it, I can't become it.

So when the guilt trip thoughts come to mind, I have to tell myself, "Ibukun you may not have any of your swearing and lustful eyes under control but you know what? But you will eventually because the Holy Spirit gives you strength to overcome.". Here's one portion of Furtick's book I highlighted and think you should screengrab and make your wallpaper

"So I confirm God's calling on my life when I learn to affirm my identity in Him. And I activate my identiy when I refuse lies and walk according to redemptive truth. 
  • I don't like myself very much in this moment, but I am loved.
  • I don't seem to be gaining much ground in this battle, but I am more than a conqueror. 
  • I don't have a lot of confidence in myself right now but I am strong and courageous. 
  • I don't know how to fix this part of my life, but I am healed and whole. 
  • I don't know how long I'll continue to struggle with this sin but I am forgiven and free.
 How do I know? Because God says I am."

Can we stop walking around with our heads down, tails between our legs feeling sorry for ourselves because we think we'll never overcome whatever it is we're struggling with? Can we? That cycle needs to be broken.
Can we begin to speak truth over ourselves instead of lies? Can we make a commitment to try that this week? Because there is no condemnation to them who belong to Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1) we need to start believing it and we need to start living like people who are not condemned by God.

5 comments:

  1. So, I really love how your blog name and blogposts rhyme... (I guess that's the point)

    The way you stress the fact that you are made perfect by God is really beautiful.

    Please, keep at it. Matthew 5:16

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sisi! Hope you have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in a constant journey to holiness. God's grace and mercy keeps us when we fall short. I too am working on doing better-- I stubbed my toe and out flew one of those words. I was dealing with a difficult co-worker and kept rolling my eyes... when I realize it happens, I stop and ask God to help me to grow and to be an example.


    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I woke up this morning not feeling good enough
    And this exact scripture [Romans 8:1] crossed my mind while I was brushing my teeth and there and then I decided not to let my feelings rule me today.


    Great post Ibukun
    Thanks or sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm amidst tears as I read this (because emotional baby lol)
    Thanks for the inspiration Ibukun.

    ReplyDelete